Tuesday, October 9, 2007

So long, car. Hello, Zipcar.

I'm selling my Camry to an old friend of the family; my second mother, to be honest. She's going to give it to her son in college, and I'm going to finally be free of having a car in Boston. Seeing as how I've used it twice since I moved here in July (and once was just to drive it for driving's sake), I won't really miss it. In fact, I know I won't miss it.

Why?

Because I joined Zipcar!


Whoo-hoo! This little card lets me gain access to an entire fleet of vehicles.

Zipcar is a program that lets you drive when you need to drive, and you rent by the hour or the day. Hundreds of cars, from VW Jettas to pickups to Minis to BMWs, are parked in special lots all over Boston, and if you need to drive to, say, IKEA, you can pick one up for a couple hours, do your shopping, and then return it.

There are many plans, but the one I chose cost $50 a year, and car rentals start at $9 an hour (depending on the model). Insurance: free. Gasoline: free (they give you a gas card). Lots: There are three lots in Beacon Hill and the West End.

I think the program is beyond cool and, for me, cost effective. Although I'm a subway/train/bus fiend, there are times when I'll want the freedom of a car. But I'll have the added benefit of not having to pay maintenance and insurance (which is more than double than what I was paying in Florida). Oh, and having a parking space is quite nice, too.

One more bonus: Zipcar is in all major US cities, so if I need a car in New York or Chicago, my membership works there, too. It even works with Zipcar London.

Yeah, I know this sounds like an ad for Zipcar. That's because it is. They paid me millions of dollars to write this in my blog, which is quite influential.

Right.

1 comment:

Wordnerdy said...

I saw ads for Zipcar in D.C. and it sounds really sweet.

They're next setting up lots in Brevard. But all the models will resemble rockets.