Thursday, October 4, 2007

From kitchen renovations comes an entry

My apartment in Boston came with a dishwasher, which is quite the upgrade for someone who has been washing dishes by hand for the past four years. (Heck, just having a sink that drains properly is an upgrade from my last two apartments.) I haven't been able to use it yet, though, because it wasn't installed. And because I've been used to washing dishes by hand, I haven't missed it.

Well, today is when my life changes: Workers are hooking it up right now.

"Why should I care?" you're probably asking. Here's why: Their presence is forcing me to write in my journal. I can't leave. I can't listen to music over the work. I can't really do anything except sit at my desk and soak in just how small 450 square feet is when two people are drilling in the wall.

I started this blog with great intentions, and, in the beginning, I wrote prodigiously. Lately, though, it's been languishing. I have a few ideas why:

• Summer. Yes, the period from July to September was pretty slow once the newness of my neighborhood wore off.

Life isn't always that interesting. On some days — usually my days off — Boston feels new and exciting. Other days, it just feels like … life. I mean, unless I run errands in the morning, see something crazy on the subway trip to Dorchester, or have a crazy cabbie on the ride home, it can feel very uninspired. But my days off are usually great, even though I'll often just go for a walk downtown. I'm really learning my way around the immediate area, and that makes me proud.

The weather. Seriously, the fact that it hasn't really changed has made the past few months seem really long. Like there's no progress being made. It was really hot for a few days in July and we've had a couple of good spikes, but it's pretty much been in the 60- to 80-degree range for several months. On the day it fell to 40, I was happy because it was different and I got to start wearing my new fall clothes. Then it shot back to 80. Hmm.

I had a few visitors in September — Jenn and my mom — and I had a blast showing them around. My birthday wasn't really that great because I was far from my friends and family. My mom's visit was the only thing that kept me from being depressed, but, in retrospect, I really should have come back to Jacksonville. Fortunately, that will happen at the end of this month.

Things are looking up, though: Jenn is visiting again in several days and the SND Conference is around the corner, which means Pat will be up here. Pat, Jenn and me back together … awesome. I just hope I can work out my work schedule to get the time to truly enjoy the conference and everyone's visit. *crosses fingers*

Work is going well, but I'm seeing its imperfections. Well, to clarify, it's this schedule that's starting to get in my juice: Coming in at 4 p.m. to design the Metro cover and then shifting to the rim by 8 p.m. Previously, a designer would come in at noon and start brainstorming the cover and hand it off at 8 p.m. for production. I'm expected to get the same results and contribute to the editing, a double-dipping that's starting to take its toll because I often have to rip up everything and start over at the last minute. Why? Because I'm coming in too late to affect any change and too early before editorial decisions are made. Plus, unlike my predecessor, I don't have a trip home to look forward to after I finish my met front; I have six stories to edit at a seemingly breakneck pace.

The good news is that because this is a new schedule for the paper, it's open to modification. So after another month, if I can't find a way to better succeed, I'm going to lobby to start coming in earlier.

The last bit of news is my trip to Six Flags New England with Chris and Tom. It was awesome, and it was so nice to spend time with two longtime friends. It felt like old times. Anyway, here are some photos:


The Cyclone.


Robin is short. Or I'm tall. Whatev.


The Mind Eraser. I can't remember if it was cool …


My response to the jerk who confiscated my camera on the ride. It's not like I was going to take sweet pictures of the awesome roller coaster … 


The teacups. LESSON: Do not drink beer before riding these. Seriously.


The Super Man. This probably would've been my favorite ride IF IT WASN'T CLOSED FOR THE SEASON.


Tom is much cooler than this Green Lantern.


Chris joined a gang.


Sadly, I died there.

No comments: