Saturday, August 4, 2007

Next stop: The beach

Because I have such an interesting and stimulating life, I often pore over maps of Boston and its subway and train routes. The reasons are varied: The first and most obvious, is that I want to be a good tour guide for Jenn and anyone else who comes to visit; the second is for reasons of vanity: There's nothing cooler than showing off helpful local knowledge to tourists. (Tourists are everywhere downtown and in Beacon Hill. Oddly, they haven't begun to annoy me yet.)

So as I was studying, I noticed that the Blue Line appeared to run right next to the beach north of the city. "Subway to the beach? That would be awesome!" I thought as I pulled up Google Maps. Sure enough, it did. I needed to see this for myself, so I grabbed my T pass and left.

The train ride takes about 30 minutes, but from where I was coming I didn't have to make any transfers; just a straight shot out there and back. Once you get past the airport stop, the train emerges and runs above ground the rest of the way. Looking out the right window, it seemed odd to be sitting on a subway car, staring out into the Atlantic Ocean.



"Next stop Revere Beach." This was it. I exited the train, walked up the stairs and looked right — the beach was right there across the street.


It's no Florida beach, but it will do.

There was a boardwalk, part of which was covered, and a long patch of sand leading to the water. Even though it was a Friday afternoon, there was still a decent crowd. I didn't have my swimsuit (it's in Jacksonville) and I was wearing shoes, so I stayed on the boardwalk. It was hot; almost 97 degrees (this is New England?) and I really wanted to dive in the water. Next time.



Perhaps if it's still warm in a few weeks when Jenn visits, we'll hit the famous Massachusetts beaches. Right.

1 comment:

Minnie said...

Dude. How are you surviving 97 degrees without air conditioning?