Tuesday, August 7, 2007

All the News That Fits


The Grey Lady slims down: Sunday, Aug. 5 (above), and Tuesday, Aug. 7.

The Times broke my heart a little when it lost an inch and a half earlier this week. With the new 12-inch width, it's just like nearly every other paper in the country. Although I'm sure I'll get used to the new look, right now it's hard to look at both of these papers as being the New York Times. The Times' front page had impact because of the size, impact that I just don't see anymore.

But aesthetics aside, the reduction in width, although saving millions in newsprint costs annually, just goes to show how increasingly irrelevant the print product is. The New York Times is setting the standard for journalism in the digital age, and it deserves all the praise it gets. But, as a newspaper lover, it's hard to see the print product literally shriveling up.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That breaks my heart a little bit, too, not only for the NYT, but for the newspaper industry in general. I much prefer reading something that I can also hold.

Unknown said...

my heart wasn't doing anything until you showed me the difference next to each other.
what a difference.