Friday, December 7, 2007

Winterized!

Before I moved here, the idea of really cold weather was foreign to me. Yes, I had seen snow and I spent several days in cold weather (try going to Paris in February), but having to deal with it every day was incomprehensible.

It hasn't been above freezing for almost a week now. Snow that fell while I was in Florida is still on the streets, and we're expecting more in the next few days.

It's not even winter yet.

But here's the best part: I don't really mind it. Seriously. I discovered early on that a few small clothing choices can mean the difference between misery and comfort. Returning from the airport the other day, I was hating life because I was underdressed, yet yesterday, all bundled up, I decided to not go home immediately after work and stroll through the icy park.

Yes, you wear a lot of clothes. But I'd rather spend a few extra minutes dressing and undressing than be miserable. Here's what I wore yesterday:

• Long-sleave T-shirt
• Sweater
• Royal Navy-quality peacoat
• Underwear
• Thermal underwear
• Corduroy pants
• Scarf
• Knit cap
• Leather gloves
• Socks (one pair)
• Converse sneakers

The weakness was my feet, which were neither warm enough or were able to provide traction on ice. It wasn't cold enough yet for them to truly bother me, but I'd rather not have a vulnerability.

Now, I'm invulnerable, thanks to das boots.


Keen Dakota men's boots. The lining inside them is filled with air from Death Valley and they're hand made from dragon skin by Italian supermodels in carved-out volcanoes, so they're unbelievably hot. Waterproof and cold-weather rated to -25 degrees, these boots are so badass that snow melts when it sees them, from fear of being trodden upon. Yeah.

So unless the weather is in the single digits or below, people who complain about the cold here are probably not dressing properly.*

So, with that in mind ... come visit me in Boston! And bring lots of clothing!

* When I write an entry in the middle of January about how I want to die, I will grant everyone permission to throw my words back at me. It's only fair.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My favorite part of your new boots is the yellow "Caution!" icon, warning the snow if its impending doom.