Sunday, November 18, 2007

See this movie*



"No Country For Old Men," the Coen brothers' new film based on Cormac McCarthy's novel, is one of the best films I've seen in a long time. So much so that I'm going to see it again tomorrow afternoon.

I knew I would like it: I'm a big fan of the Coen brothers, and Cormac McCarthy is probably one of the best living American writers (I started reading his Pulitzer-winning "The Road" last week). But the biggest surprise was Javier Bardem, the actor who brilliantly plays the homicidal maniac, Anon Chigurh. Tommy Lee Jones, always a good bet, is awesome as the haunted Sheriff Bell.

I could go on and on about the West Texas setting, the camera work, the dialogue ... the movie is terrific, and I'm sure it's going to win the hell out of some Oscars this year.

*Only if you like dark, violent, morally ambiguous movies that demand almost as much of you as you of them.

(-30- movie plug)

No comments: