Monday, February 25, 2008

A few random things


Travis sits in the window as snow falls outside.

First thing's first: T-Rav is now with me in Boston. I brought her up a couple weeks ago, and she seems to be happy. I know I am. I'd forgotten how nice it is to curl up on the couch with a cat.

* * *

I was slightly disappointed that "There Will be Blood" did not win Best Picture. Although I loved "No Country … " I liked the other film better. Also, why didn't "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" win the cinematography award? Related subquestion: When did they allow the Academy to start smoking crack?

* * *

I wanted to go to New York today, just for the hell of it, but I misjudged the Fung Wah bus' popularity: They were all booked in the morning, and taking an afternoon bus to NYC wouldn't have made any sense. LESSON LEARNED: Buy tickets ahead of time. (Maybe I'll go next week.)

* * *


Winchester, Mass.

I took the train up to Winchester to visit The Griffin Museum of Photography. I wanted to see Stephen Wilkes' "Ghosts of Freedom" exhibit. Wilkes photographed a long-abandoned hospital complex on Ellis Island, and he produced some truly striking images, like the one below.



To see more, go here, or come to Winchester.

* * *

I've been hunting for two-bedroom apartments in the North End and Beacon Hill. The BH apartments I'm interested in all feature roof decks, which is an awesome bonus; the North End apartments are smaller, but, hey, it's the North End, where there are more than 100 eateries in a 1/3-square-mile neighborhood. I hope this apartment we find will be our last, and Jenn and I can buy one next year in the South End. We'll see.

* * *

In this week's New York Times Magazine (which has a terrific cover story on Afghanistan), I noticed this ad. Now, is it just me, or does this guy:



… look kind of like:



… a chubby Kurt Vonnegut?

* * *

More later, possibly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blue room with bed frame and snowy corridor are my favorites...I don't want to even use words to describe how these make me feel b/c it's a physical experience as much as mental... (deep of me for a Monday, eh?)