Friday, September 7, 2007

Howdy, neighbor

Walking up the hill from the post office, I passed Louisburg Square, which is arguably the most exclusive block on Beacon Hill. It's two rows of brownstone mansions facing each other, with a small, gated park in between. The neighbors own the park and land, and, thus, have their own on-street parking spots in front of their homes.

As I neared the end of the block, a black minivan pulled up in front of one of the most famous home in the square and its equally famous resident got out, thanked the driver and started walking toward his door. It was Senator John F. Kerry.

"Good afternoon, Senator," I said as our paths crossed. He returned my greeting with a smile before walking up the steps to his mansion.

Although Kerry earned some cool points for carpooling, I still wanted to grab him and yell, "Why didn't you try harder three years ago?!?"

Maybe next time. Until then, I'll still be pondering how weird it was to see the man who could've been president less than a block away from where I live. (And yes, he really does look like an evil villain from a Scooby Doo episode.)

No comments: